Bringing greenery into your home is a great way to give your space life and add some visual interest to your décor. While plants and flowers can be pretty to look at, pet parents should be extra careful when choosing greenery as many of even the most common houseplants can be harmful to dogs if ingested.
There are over 400 types of plants that can be toxic if ingested by dogs. Below are just 9 of the most common types of houseplants and flowers you should keep away from your pups to help keep them safe and healthy.
Also called emerald feather, emerald fern, sprengeri fern, plumosa fern or lace fern, this plant possesses a toxic agent called sapogenin. When ingested by dogs, sapogenin causes vomiting, diarrhea and/or abdominal pain, and repeated exposure can also lead to skin inflammation.
The saponin contained in this plant causes vomiting (with or without blood), appetite loss, depression and/or increased salivation in pups that ingest it. If you're shopping for greenery, be on the lookout for the alternate names of this plant, including cornstalk plant, dracaena, dragon tree and ribbon plant.
Commonly known as dumb cane, tropic snow or exotica, dieffenbachia causes oral irritation, especially on dogs' tongues and lips. For pups that ingest this plant, this irritation can lead to increased salivation, difficulty swallowing and vomiting.
Similar to dieffenbachia, elephant ear, also known as caladium, taro, pai, ape, cape, via, via sori or malanga, can also cause oral irritation and its side effects in curious dogs.
These beautiful flowers can add life to any interior but certain members of the lily family are highly toxic to dogs. The peace lily (also known as Mauna Loa) causes irritation of the tongue and lips, as well as increased salivation, difficulty swallowing or vomiting.
Also known as silk pothos, this common houseplant irritates the mouth, lips and tongues of pups that try to make a meal of it, and these effects can lead to vomiting or difficulty swallowing.
Another very common houseplant, aloe plants, otherwise known as medicine plant or Barbados aloe, can cause vomiting in pups.
Often called baby jade, dwarf rubber plant, jade tree, Chinese rubber plant or friendship tree, jade plants contain an unknown toxic property that can cause vomiting, depression, loss of coordination and slow heart rate if ingested by dogs.
This easy to grow plant is a staple in many households but is actually highly toxic to dogs. The heartleaf philodendron, otherwise known as fiddle leaf, panda plant, red emerald and saddle leaf, causes irritation of the mouth, tongue and lips in animals.
If you're a plant parent or planning on shopping for some greenery, be sure to keep your pup in mind. The ASPCA has a comprehensive list of all plants toxic to your furry friends, and consulting their guide can save you a trip to the vet. If you are unsure what types of plants are in or around your home, keep an eye on your dog's droppings on your walks. Before disposing of your pup's waste in the appropriate DOGIPOT pet station, make sure it's not abnormal in color or consistency, as this could signify your pet's been barking up the wrong tree.