FRI, 03 OCT 2014 BY LINDA ROSADO
We’ve all been here. You glance down at those big, pouty eyes while making food and instantly cave in, dropping a little treat down to our best friend. You notice Junior’s plate clearing off faster than usual before hearing a chewing sound under the table.
Feeding man’s best friend some of man’s best food is second nature for many dog owners. However, knowing which foods might be harmful for Fido, and making sure everyone in your household is aware of them, is a key part of keeping your pets safe. Here are some of the most common foods to keep on your plate and away from your pup’s bowl.
FOODS TO AVOID:
- Avocado: Can cause upset stomach and indigestion.
- Chocolate: The most well known no-no. The darker the chocolate, the worse it is for your furry friend. Can cause vomiting, muscle tremors, seizures, and potentially death.
- Cooked Bones: Raw bones are fine as long as they can’t be swallowed, but cooked bones splinter.
- Dairy Products: Enough cheese or milk can cause your pup to have diarrhea.
- Dough: Yeast expands in a dog’s stomach, which can cause intoxication leading to coma, seizure, tissue damage, decreased blood flow, and potentially death.
- Fish: Causes a thiamine deficiency, which induces loss of appetite and potentially seizures.
- Grapes, Raisins, and Currants: All toxic to dog kidneys. Even if there isn’t an immediate reaction, kidney failure can occur up to four days later, and can lead to long-term kidney problems.
- Macadamia Nuts: Known to cause tremors and fevers.
- Moldy Food: Mold contains mycotoxins, which are toxic to dogs and can induce tremors that last for weeks, or convulsions that can lead to death.
- Onions, Garlic, Scallions, and Shallots: These damage a dog’s red blood cells, and results in weakness and discolored urine. Symptoms typically don’t show until three days later, and in extreme cases they may require a blood transfusion.
- Mushrooms: Contains toxins that can lead to shock and potentially death.
- Xylitol (Chewing Gum, Candy): Consumption results in low blood sugar and can cause weakness, and in some cases liver failure.
DRINKS TO AVOID:
- Alcohol: Dogs, especially small ones, have a much greater sensitivity and can become intoxicated from a very small amount. This includes licking beer. This can cause vomiting, seizures and death.
- Caffeine: Same as alcohol, dogs have a greater sensitivity and even small amounts can cause vomiting, diarrhea and can be toxic to their heart and nervous system.
With so many of our favorite foods on the no-no list for pups, it’s easy to get overwhelmed. However, this list isn’t meant to scare you; it merely serves as a guide to help you think twice about what you’re feeding your dog. Check out these pup-approved foods and test them out to see which ones your furry friend likes:
Lean cooked meat, apples (no seeds), oranges, bananas, watermelon (seedless), carrots, green beans, cucumber slices, zucchini slices, cooked rice, and cooked pasta.
Be sure you’re keeping an eye on your pup’s waste on your dog walks. Before you properly dispose of your pet’s poop through a DOGIPOT Pet Station, take a look at its consistency and color, as these can often hint at any digestive issues that may be present. Always remember that a balanced diet for dogs is best achieved through dog-appropriate foods. However, every now and then you’re absolutely allowed to give your pup a little something extra with delicious treats you can both enjoy!